Since I keep getting asked by previous interns what to do when they’ve booked their first fashion editorial styling job, I love to dish out the advice. Also, I love to see others follow my advice, so I thought I’d share my top 5 Stylist Do’s & Don’t s with you all.
- DO: Get a letter of responsibility from the publication you’re styling for, stating that they are liable for any damage or theft of items pulled for the shoot. Usually it’s either printed or a pdf on their letterhead. DON’T: Pull on your own credit card.
- DO: Pull from the best quality showrooms possible. This is your book & every piece reflects the quality of your work. You have professional models, photographers, etc, so don’t skimp on the professional designers. DON’T: Use American Apparel, H & M, Urban Outfitters, Bebe, or Ann Taylor: they are blacklisted from the conde nast offices and shouldn’t be in your portfolio.
- DO: Contact designers, showrooms & misc contacts via email with all the info: your shoot dates, pull & return dates, photographer, publication, and ask for an appointment DON’T: Ask someone for their competitor’s contact info, they will be super annoyed.
- DO: follow-up: return all items promptly, send images to the showroom and keep them updated when the images are published DON’T: Keep items unnecessarily, lie about a press project, or send them images of everybody else’s stuff, just theirs.
- DO: Plan ahead. Ideally you want to know how many looks you are doing & start planning your pulls 3 weeks ahead of time via email correspondence whenever possible, so you have more time to organize your shoot. DON’T: Wait until the last minute, you will end up with out of season or not enough pieces!
3 thoughts on “The Top 5 Stylist Do’s & Don’ts”
Nice blog. We love it.
We’ve been taking note of your style and we’ve come to be wonderfully addicted to it.
We’d like to invite you as our 1st group of fashionista to join WhatIWear in a conquest to inspire the world,changing one wardrobe at a time.
Click HERE to become a member – http://www.whatiwear.com
Or check our blog at blog.whatiwear.com
Here are some members who have already joined us.
Anastasia Siantar – brownplatform.com
Andree Judd – avantgardien.tumblr.com
Willabell Ong – paledivision.blogspot.com
Marie Hamm – themavenpost.blogpost.com
Paris & London – themadtwins.blogspot.com
Alyssa Lau – theordinarypeoples.blogspot.com
Nadine Drexler – whengreengrasswasyellowonpictures.com
White Lace – whitelace.ro
Becka Häggblom – sunshineinnorth.blogspot.com
Michalina Z – stook-pook.blogspot.com
Jessica C – westmountfashionista.com
Claradevi Handriatmadja – luce-dale.com
i love your post dear!!!!1
all the best
Great post! Do’s and don’ts those are all i need thanks for sharing! It helps 🙂