Just finished reading Elsa Schiaparelli’s book The Shocking Life and I wanted to share ten of her commandments for women with you:
- Since most women do not know themselves they should try to do so.
- A woman who buys an expensive dress and changes it, often with disastrous results, is extravagant and foolish.
- Remember — twenty per cent of women have inferiority complexes. Seventy per cent have illusions.
- Ninety per cent are afraid of being conspicuous and of what people will say. So they buy a grey suit. They should dare to be different.
- Women should listen and ask for competent criticism and advice.
- They should choose their clothes alone or in the company of a man.
- They should never shop with another woman, who sometimes consciously and often unconsciously is apt to be jealous.
- They should buy little, and only of the best or the cheapest.
- Never fit the dress to the body, but train the body to fit the dress.
- A woman should buy mostly in one place where she is known and respected, and not rush around trying every new fad.